The Royal Family held crisis talks in Sandringham on Monday to discuss the details of Harry and Meghan’s plans to step down as senior members of the family.
The announcement was made by the Sussexes last week with reports saying the Queen was deeply disappointed in their decision and that Charles and William only had 10 minutes notice prior to the statement being released.
Since then, Megxit has been the centre of a media circus and the Royal households all convened to discuss the finite details and discuss the matter privately.
Meghan Markle returned to Canada shortly after the announcement was made as the couple had left their son Archie with the nanny in the country.
She was reported to be video calling in for the meeting but that plan was scuppered due to eavesdropping fears.
An insider added: ‘This was a highly confidential family discussion, not a conference call.’
However, the couple’s Kensington Palace spokesperson has denied these claims and insisted Meghan was not shut out and just left it to her husband.
‘In the end, the Sussexes decided that it wasn’t necessary for the Duchess to join,’ they said.
Harry is said to have arrived early to meet with the Queen solo before his father and brother arrived in an effort to smooth things over with her.
Following the one-on-one and the two-hour talks with the family, the Queen agreed to a ‘transition period’ as stated in a full announcement released last night.
There was, however, two points of interest from the statement that may or may not have been intentional.
The first is that the Queen admits she would have preferred Harry and Meghan ‘to remain full-time working members of the Royal Family’ but did add they ‘respect and understand’ their request for a more independent and private life.
The second notable point is the fact she doesn’t refer to the couple as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex in the statement – she refers to them as Harry and Meghan.
Since the announcement last week, many have said they believe the couple should be stripped of their royal titles but as they’ve just trademarked and built their brand behind it, we can see why Harry and Meghan might not be keen to relinquish them.
By not using their royal titles in the statement, the Queen has effectively broken royal protocol (although protocol has been thrown out the window at this point) but whether this indicates she was using a more familiar tone for the release or the titles have in fact been revoked remains to be seen.
It’s also said that Prince Charles told his youngest son that he needs to realise that he doesn’t have ‘unlimited resources.’
The Prince of Wales has already adorned a small fortune on his younger son including aiding the refurbishment of Frogmore Cottage which will now be left vacant for half the year when the couple are in Canada.
Charles is said to fear that Harry is relying on his Duchy of Cornwall to pay his family’s bills.
The matter may be concluded for now but it looks like there’s more to be ironed out in the weeks to come.